Pages

Friday 23 March 2012

My interview

Today I had an interview at school. It wasn't really for anything it was just so we could 'get a feel for what an interview is like'. I know, the excuses our school makes are just ridiculous, we know what an interview is like now could you please give us an education rather than a 'fun interactive day'. Anyway, as I had no choice in the matter at 12:20 today I was sat in the library ready for my 'interview'.We had to dress in smart clothes which for the majority of my school means a new tracksuit that's not got a beer stain on it. I however, decided to be a bit more classy and wear a knee length skirt and a blazer. I'm not going to lie, I resembled a nun.

My interview didn't get off to a good start. I stood by the desk looking over at my interviewer. He was quite broad and I about 50 ish. Also, I don't think he was married because his suit was a bit crushed. As I stood there he was doing some paper work and failed to see me. So I coughed... tapped my foot and edged forward a bit, but there was still no response, to be honest I think he was a bit hard of hearing.

Once he a finally acknowledged my existence he shook my hand and invited me to sit down, about time too. He then proceeded to ask me what GCSE's I was taking. I now realise that saying "GCSE German" was a big mistake. He started to talk to me.. In German. Of course, my mind went completely blank and I couldn't even remember what 'Hello my name is Sarah' was. Actually, I was at a slight disadvantage because my interviewer was from Liverpool so he was speaking German in a scouse accent, it was quite something. I couldn't really make out what he was saying so I just smiled and hoped it wasn't a question.

The interview continued quite smoothly for a while, I had to list my 'personal qualities' and say what I did in my spare time, it wasn't a stereotypical interview at all. Then he asked me what I would bring to his company, so I answered. Then he asked me again "So, what will you bring to my company?" so I answered with what I had said before, re-phrased and gave  him a slightly confused look. Then, to my horror, he asked me again "What will you bring to my company?". I just sat and stared at him, what a strange man. He then said to me "Sarah, this is why you must not let all your information go on the first question, you have nothing else to tell me".  Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the standard procedure is to ask someone a question, listen to their answer and then move on, not to then repeat the question. Why would I need to hold any information back?

After this confusing ordeal he asked me if I had any questions for him. I had several but I didn't dare ask them, he was bigger than me. I really wanted to ask him "Do you often pretend you have a memory problem and speak in Scouse- German in order to confuse candidates at interviews or am I a one off?". Of course I just said "No" and stood up to shake his hand.

I hope my next interview has a little more English and the interviewer does not seem like he should not be in a mental hospital.




No comments:

Post a Comment