Pages

Monday 24 October 2011

How to carve a pumpkin

On Friday I carved my very first pumpkin, on my own. Obviously, I have done them before but my mum insists on supervising ever since the incident with my brother and the knife. I better explain or you will think I just go around stabbing people. Basically, I was drying the dishes and my little brother was annoying me, I started shouting at him and as it happens I was just about to put away a knife. So I was shouting at my brother whilst holding a knife. Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about, there was no need for all that screaming.

Anyway, so since that day I have never been trusted alone with knives but on Friday at rangers (when you get to old for girl guides) we carved pumpkins so I thought I was finally going to get one. I was wrong. They made us carve pumpkins with spoons! Why on Earth they couldn't just have given us knives is beyond me.

So, on Friday night, spoon at the ready I set about carving my pumpkin. It's not as easy as it looks. When I first drew my 'design' (a smiley face) onto the pumpkin with a pen I thought it was going to be easy so I did a lot of detail on the eyes (eyelashes) and a lot of detail on the mouth (teeth). I was proud of my design and couldn't wait to start carving.

Within the first few minutes of carving my hand had slipped so my pumpkin man had a lovely scar in between his eyes. So, not to be put off I changed it so he looked like he was wearing a pair of glasses. Be it a very large pair of glasses. Unfortunately, his eyes didn't turn out the shape I was intending, or the size, and they were completely different to each other. I thought it made him look quirky- my friends disagreed.

The mouth went quite well considering  my newly found lack of talent for pumpkin carving. I just did it in one massive block, so it's a very large, square mouth. But I was pleased with it. I had now finished my pumpkin and when everyone lined there's up I can safely say mine stood out. All be it for the wrong reasons.

When I got home I asked my mum if she was proud of me. She replied, I will always be proud Sarah, you tried your best. I'm not sure she was keen on my pumpkin.

All hail Sarah's pumpkin, with it's large glasses and square (ish) mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment