Pages

Sunday 13 November 2011

Lets Zumba our way out of this one...

*I must apologise for the lack of apostrophe in the title, for some reason blogger won't let me have one*

Zumba- A dance/fitness program inspired by Latin dance. Spanish slang for "to move fast and have fun

I hate Zumba, with a passion. It's basically a glorified fitness class where 'women of a certain age' go to 'keep fit'. My mother has started Zumba and she showed me some last night, it really is awful "Step, clap, step, shimmy" she chanted as she marched up and down the kitchen with no particular rhythm at all. Watching my 40+ year old mother trying to shimmy has scared me for life. She looked like a plonker, to put it mildly.

Now, I must say, I don't have a problem with people going to Zumba (unless they have teenage children who they could embarrass) , it's not up to me how people waste their time, but, I do disagree with how they sell it;
'Zumba is a great way to loose weight fast' - Erm, no it isn't, nobody I know has ever lost any weight.
'Feel the benefits straight away'- no, unless you count aching arms as a benefit.
'Qualifed instructor'- Excuse me, but what qualifications do you need to be a Zumba instructor?

Do you see what I mean? It is being sold as a new fitness craze when in fact it's nothing more than a social event. Plus, the women who go take cakes to eat afterwards. So, in effect they are 'burning calories' only to put them back on again... Surely I am not the only one who can see this?! Not that you burn any calories 'Zumbering' anyway, all you do is walk around a bit, clap your hands and touch your toes.

I was just thinking, it must be a strange sight watching people enter a Zumba class. I bet you can see middle aged women 'limbering up' which involves stretching their arms a couple of times then sitting down again because they "musn't over do it". And you can see an array of Zumba outfits ranging from tracksuit bottoms and hoodies to full on belly dancing outfits. Women over 50 shouldn't be aloud out of the house wearing that kind of thing. And then, once everyone is suitably dressed and 'limbered up' they all enter into the Zumba class, armed with their Good House Keeping magaizines and Inhalers.

Zumba- I know, it looks thrilling.

2 comments:

  1. I actually go to Zumba and I'm only 24! I go with a couple of friends and it's actually a laugh. There's quite a few people in their early-mid twenties who go to my class. My class is a really good workout as well, because it is more fitness based than some. There are some that are more dance based and some more fitness based, a lot depends on the individual instructor to be honest, so you can't just generalize about it. And because I go to a more strenuous class...and I most definitely don't go and eat cake afterwards... yes I have actually lost a few pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that is not what actually what happens, It is meant to be a teenagers view of Zumba!

    ReplyDelete